The Student News Site of Terry High School

The Badge

The Badge

The Badge

Aaliyah Edwards has Something on Her Mind

Freshman Aaliyah Edwards

10 years went by in Aaliyah’s Edwards life without any further complications or surgeries. She’s now had two surgeries in the past 10 months alone.

“I felt very hurt about this most recent procedure because I had just got one in April, and it was so sudden,” Edwards said.” It hit me all so suddenly because I was doing fine from April to September, I was doing good, going to my doctors’ appointments, and then it just went downhill.”

When she was four months old, Edwards was diagnosed with a brain condition called hydrocephalus. The condition cultivates excess built-up fluid on the brain that causes harmful pressure on the brain’s tissues. As a result, Edwards has had to receive operations on her brain.

“The surgery in April, I was just very out of it as I was going into the surgery,” Edwards said. “I was in so much pain and I just wanted to get it over with so I could be out of pain. But for the surgery in September, I cried a lot.”

Before Edwards was diagnosed with her condition, her grandmother would say that ‘she just has a big head.’ Her mom had a feeling that something was not normal.

“My mom being the mom she is, she was not having it, so she asked the doctor to do further exams,” Edwards said. “They did X-rays and CAT scans and when the results came back, it said I had fluid in my head. They then transferred me from Memorial Herman to Texas Children, and I had on-the-spot surgery.”

From that point forward, Edwards has had a little plastic tube connecting from her head to her stomach that drains all the fluid out of her brain. Edwards has gone into surgery a total of four times in her life; two of which were emergency surgeries.

“My first was a revision when I was four,” Edwards said. “Then 10 years later in April I had a shunt malfunction, meaning that the tube was disconnected, and no one really knew — not even me. I was admitted into emergency surgery to have it reconnected. In September, the same thing happened but we happened to catch it early, so it was not as bad as in April.”

The only way Edwards is aware if she needs surgery is whenever she gets the results from her CT scans. Until those results come back, the need for surgery is unclear.

“I do worry that I’m going to have any future procedures, but I know that God has my back and that everyone is praying for me,” Edwards said. “Every time I go into a doctor’s appointment, I worry that the results the doctors are going to give me are that I need to have emergency surgery.”

Edwards has had monthly hospital visits for checkup appointments ever since the past surgeries. With the time from surgery to recover and follow-up appointments, Edwards spends a lot of time in the hospital.

“My family has been incredibly supportive with my surgeries. They are always with me whenever I get to the hospital or the doctor’s office, and they always let me know they are a phone call away if I need prayer or anything. During my recovery process, I spend a lot of time with my siblings as they visit me in the hospital.”

“My family has been incredibly supportive with my surgeries,” Edwards said. They are always with me whenever I get to the hospital or the doctor’s office, and they always let me know they are a phone call away if I need prayer or anything. During my recovery process, I spend a lot of time with my siblings as they visit me in the hospital.”

Even with Edwards condition, that doesn’t not stop her from doing the things she enjoys. She said she doesn’t let her condition control her life nor her day-to-day activities like sports or going out with friends.

“I played volleyball in middle school, but I just didn’t play this year,” Edwards said. “Since I just had my recent surgery, I can’t play this upcoming basketball season, but I will be a manager for the girls basketball team.”

The most recent surgery was described to have a greater effect on her than the one in April.

“It was hurtful knowing I couldn’t play basketball, but I guess it was OK because Coach Hatten told me ‘It’s OK. You’re going to be manager and when you come back, you are going to be better and stronger,’” Edwards said.

Edward’s mom has had some battles of her own in her life. Her mom has beat breast cancer three times, and they both have something special in common.

“Since I’ve had surgery three times and she has had breast cancer three times, she likes to say, ‘three strikes, you’re out,’” Edwards said. “’You’re my survivor, we are both survivors.’”

Edwards attitude towards her condition and life can be an inspiration to many, especially to those her age.

“Advice that I would give to younger kids is stay positive,” Edwards said. “Family members, keep them close. Just enjoy your life because you never know.”

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Badge

Your donation will support the student journalists of Terry High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.