The Student News Site of Terry High School

The Badge

The Badge

The Badge

Senior Year Cut Short

My little Ted Talk

I always thought I would finish my senior year being a ranger at Terry with all of my friends. I should’ve known that was just wishful thinking. I struggled for a bit still trying to finish off the year at Terry while living 30 minutes away  but it was just too much and I had to let go. I only had 3 months of school left until I was home free. When I did go unenroll myself, I was at a very low place. I didn’t enroll into my new school until just recently because I couldn’t bear the fact that I won’t finish my final year in high school where I want to. 

During the time where I wasn’t enrolled anywhere, I had a lot of time to think about my future. Should I throw away all of those years of school and drop out? Should I finish off doing online school? While my mom was letting me take the time to think about what I wanted to do, she wanted me to continue school like she and my big brother couldn’t do. I was so close to just throwing it all away but then I went onto social media and tried to see if there were people out there who are going through the same thing as me and there was. 

I would see Tiktoks about how they also moved their senior year to a new school and how they graduated not knowing anybody and I felt a sense of comfort knowing that I’m not the only one going through this. I also saw people take the decision of dropping out and how they’re doing. While some are thriving by throwing themselves into their job, others would express regret about not finishing off school. 

This was the last push I needed to take the courage of telling my mom to finally enroll me in school. Of course she was super happy and while I wasn’t all that excited, I would remember my teachers from Terry and how they would want me to finish off school. It would only be 3 more months and then I can do whatever I want. I wouldn’t have to worry about grades or attendance anymore. 

Now that I’m at my new school, I take it one day at a time and I’m counting down the days where I finally get to leave. I think the only thing keeping me going is the fact that I can still work on Terry’s magazine and yearbook even though I dont attend the school anymore. Im incredibly grateful to my teacher Mr. Garcia for allowing me to do so. While I know I didn’t leave that much of an impact while I was there, I will always remember the memories that I made there. If you’ve made it this far, Thank you for reading. 🙂 

Sincerely, Lindsy