The Student News Site of Terry High School

The Badge

The Badge

The Badge

Who Let The Dogs In?

Vet Med students work with faculty dogs
Lindsy Martinez
Senior Joelle Argueta holding Buster.

Wednesday, the Veterinary Medical Applications class had the opportunity to work with other dogs outside of their teacher’s trained dogs. Veterinary teacher Renee King advertised to the school’s faculty to encourage them to bring their dog to school to help educate the pre-vet class on different dogs that they’re not used to.

“I advertised to the faculty, and they were amazing,” King said. “They brought us four wonderful dogs.”

King has been teaching the pre-vet class for 11 years, and every year she brings her own dogs first to train the students, and then the faculty dogs are invited for her students to learn with them. This year would be the first year that she teaches two classes instead of one, giving more students an opportunity to learn about the field.

“I really didn’t want to do law enforcement anymore,” senior Joelle Argueta said. “I wanted to focus more on something I’m actually passionate about and that’s taking care of dogs.”

The day’s services included cutting nails, trimming long hair, and giving baths.

“We worked on a dog named Remi,” senior Nina Martell said. “She was really excited compared to the other dog.”

Argueta said she liked working with the dogs and that it was fun.

“Today was really cool,” Argueta said. “I got to experience other dogs that are not my dogs or my teacher’s dogs who are disciplined.”

Martell said she likes how hands-on the class is.

“Ms. King does a really good job of making everyone feel included,” Martell said. “You actually learn stuff.”

Argueta said it was different from working with King’s dogs.

“It was a good opportunity for the students to learn more about the real world,” King said. “They won’t always get well-behaved dogs like mine, so it’s better to teach them now, so they’re prepared.”

King’s class will be hosting another clinic next Wednesday, Oct. 4.