The Student News Site of Terry High School

The Badge

The Badge

The Badge

This Is Why

Paramore Album Review

Released in 2023 under Atlantic records, the band’s 6th album follows their 2017 album “After Laughter” which was indebted to the 80’s and big names such as The Talking Heads and Blondie and this is seen through samples and echoes in the background of certain songs.  This album however, features dance pop songs and lyrical ballads drawn from the inspirations of Y2K, “rock” music, and earlier sounds that we can see from the beginning of their career while also incorporating their evolved and more mature sound.

The band formed in 2004 and rose to fame after the release of “Misery Business” from their second studio album “Riot!”. These similar sounds are seen in songs such as “This Is Why” and “The News”.

With only 10 songs and being 36 minutes long, this album sends you on an emotional rollercoaster of dance, aggression and thinking. After a 4-year hiatus, fans were anxiously waiting to see the “new” sounds of Paramore. My personal favorites are the title track “This Is Why”, “Liar” and “Big Man, Little Dignity”. Although they are opposite sounds from each other, I feel like they represent the album in its entirety.

Most of the songs are upbeat and peppy with some ballads mixed in throughout. . The guitar riffs, drum rhythms, pure lyricism and vocals of Hayley Williams is what makes this album easily one of the best albums I’ve personally ever listened to.

I first heard the song “This Is Why” in a Zumiez at the mall and every time I hear it now I think back to that time and how much I liked it. It speaks about what it was like to live during the pandemic, “Survival of the fittest, you’re either with us or you can keep it”, politics, “If you have an opinion maybe you should shove it” and struggles with mental health and depression combined with the scrutiny from social media, “This is why I don’t leave the house”. This lyricism is what has kept Paramore in the business for over 20 years and still inspires people today not only with their songs but them as a group.

It is one of those albums that after hearing one song you want to listen to the whole album and it’s very catchy. Overall I rate this album a 9.5/10 because of the similar songs throughout it. I love the lyrics and how each song speaks to me. I greatly recommend for everyone to listen to it.